Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: French pool bans 'burkini' swim  (Read 3194 times)
awatkins

Clueless

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »

French pool bans 'burkini' swim
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm

French officials have banned a Muslim woman from swimming in a public pool while wearing a swimsuit that covers her entire body.

The woman had swum in July in the pool in Emerainville, east of Paris, in the "burkini" - a loose-fitting garment resembling a wetsuit with a hood.

But staff stopped her from swimming in August, citing hygiene concerns.

It comes as the government examines ways to limit burka use after the president said they reduced dignity.

France is home to Western Europe's largest population of Muslims, with about 5 million living there.

At the pool, staff "reminded [the woman] of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed," pool management official Daniel Guillaume was quoted by AFP as saying.

The woman was a French convert to Islam, and had bought the swimsuit in Dubai so that she would not have to uncover herself to go swimming.

"Quite simply, this is segregation," she said, according to Le Parisien newspaper, which identified her only as Carole.

"I will fight to try to change things. And if I see that the battle is lost, I cannot rule out leaving France."

Emerainville Mayor Alain Kelyor said "all this has nothing to do with Islam", adding that the swimsuit was "not an Islamic swimsuit" and that "that type of suit does not exist in the Koran".

'Prisoners behind netting'

In June the French National Assembly appointed 32 MPs to a six-month fact-finding mission to look at ways of restricting burka use.

In a major policy speech that month, President Nicolas Sarkozy said the burka - a garment covering women from head to toe - reduced them to servitude and undermined their dignity.

"We cannot accept to have in our country women who are prisoners behind netting, cut off from all social life, deprived of identity," Mr Sarkozy told a special session of parliament in Versailles.

In 2004, France banned the Islamic headscarves in its state schools.

kittenslayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:36 PM »

"reminded [the woman] of the rules that apply in all (public) swimming pools which forbid swimming while clothed,"
mean!!!!   Take it off!

kittenslayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »

Bonjour oui oui, we pride ourselves on our open mindedness and liberalness, that you will be punished for not being like us!

MAVesteban
Mods

Franklin, guess what!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »

The version I read of this story on yahoo news mentioned they ban anything that is not snug and basically skin tight - for men too.  Surf shorts are apparently outlawed for the same reason, and its banana hammocks only in France.

balloon boy

you said we did this for the show

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »

The version I read of this story on yahoo news mentioned they ban anything that is not snug and basically skin tight - for men too.  Surf shorts are apparently outlawed for the same reason, and its banana hammocks only in France.

Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?

Haven't been paying close enough attention to find a recent Ironic Nay Quote... stay tuned.

Sinistar
Mods

Shadow of Intent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 11:39:28 PM »

LETS GO TO FRANCE.

Michael Bolton: Peter, you're in deep shit. You were supposed to come in on Saturday. What were you doing?

Peter Gibbons: Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

kittenslayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »

Sigh.... so much effort Sad

Nayiri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »

Are those abs supposed to be hot or something? Cause they're actually weirding me out more than anything.

kittenslayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »

Yeah, it's abit off.

balloon boy

you said we did this for the show

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:53:15 PM »

My bf can pull off a banana hammock better than ur bf.

Haven't been paying close enough attention to find a recent Ironic Nay Quote... stay tuned.

Sinistar
Mods

Shadow of Intent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »

Are those abs supposed to be hot or something? Cause they're actually weirding me out more than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WzKDdj0CxY

Michael Bolton: Peter, you're in deep shit. You were supposed to come in on Saturday. What were you doing?

Peter Gibbons: Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

Nayiri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

Seriously...it looks like he has holes on the sides and stuff :\

Nayiri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »

^Seems to have a thing for posting pics of fat hairy men.

That thread is adictive!

Sinistar
Mods

Shadow of Intent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »

I just looked up some burkini and I luled, I'm sorry but they should ban them for dignity sake everywhere. I don't even care about the oppression as much as the lulz.

Seriously...it looks like he has holes on the sides and stuff :\

Drop it cause we all know what you're looking at.

Nayiri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 12:23:58 AM »

Drop it cause we all know what you're looking at.

Drop it, Grumpy...we just don't have the same taste in men.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: